Well guys, I’ve officially made it 6 months postpartum! It’s hard to believe that Mishka – the little bundle of joy that I brought into the world – is now a whopping 17 pounds and eager to bounce all over the place.
Last night as I looked over the pictures of her first 6 months, it got me thinking about my own self care. My needs. As a mommy it becomes so easy to put everybody’s needs first.
>>>> Guilty as charged <<<<<
So I decided to create a list of real things that every new mommy needs postpartum. I wanted to share what I experienced in my six months postpartum and what things have really helped me. Here is my list:
- A sexy nursing bra (like this), because not everyone wants to feel like a granny while nursing their little one.
- A massage – I cannot even express how beautiful the first massage postpartum was. You don’t realize how much trauma your body goes through in labor.
- A night out with the girls – enough said.
- A daily dose of exercise – even if it’s as simple as going on a walk.
- A glorious (and I mean glorious) shower whenever you can get one.
- A sense of humor (yes you just got pooped on…again).
- Date night with the hubby – our first date night was to watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was so nice and so needed.
- A good supply of prenatal vitamins – keep taking them, especially if you’re breastfeeding.
- A trustworthy friend to talk to and a shoulder to cry on. It’s okay ladies. Being a new mom is rough sometimes and we all go through days when we just don’t want to deal.
- Easy go-to meals (freezer meals, crock pot meals, salads, or overnight oats)
- Some serious rest (whenever and wherever you get the chance)
- Netflix and…ice cream?
- A good book on baby development
- Nursing pads and coconut oil (or lanolin)
- Frequent reasons to get out of the house (go go get out, you’ll go crazy)
- Time for healing (labor and pregnancy do a number on your body)
- Lactation smoothies or lactation cookies
- Creative time (adult coloring books are great)
- A journal or a blog to write down your memories of this journey
- Birth control methods (unless you’re ready to do it all over again)
Want to see Mishkas as a newborn? Check out her newborn pictures.