The Divine Feminine challenges us to walk in the dark, knowing we are fully guided in the arms of Divine Mother.
I first came to understand the concept of Divine Mother when I was in yoga teacher training many years ago. We were sitting crossed-legged in a circle sharing about energy, the Divine Feminine, and ancient Hindu Goddesses. This was the first time I learned about Shakti.
Sitting on that yoga mat I remember being fascinated by it all – the idea that energy could be gendered! It all felt so familiar to me, like of course there was a masculine and feminine presence in the creation of this Earth!
“Who is She? She is your power, your Feminine source. Big Mama. The Goddess. The Great Mystery. The web-weaver. The life force. The first time, the twentieth time you may not recognize her. Or pretend not to hear. As she fills your body with ripples of terror and delight.” – Lucy H. Pearce, Burning Woman
Shakti — The Divine Mother
Adi Parashakti also known as Mahadevi in Sanskrit is the embodiment of Divine Mother. Yogapedia beautifully explains:
She represents the “ true power of love, safety, and transcendental consciousness.” In Hinduism, the term Shakti means the feminine energy that exists within every being on earth, no matter which gender you are. We are living in a time that creates an imbalance of yin (feminine) and yang (masculine) energy. It turns out that now more than ever we need to focus on healing and creating a harmony of these energies to live in sweet serenity.
For each person, the connection with Divine Feminine is going to look quite different. You can tap into the Divine Mother and Divine Feminine Energy as a way of healing, expressing yourself, and receiving love and abundance.
How to Awaken Divine Feminine Energy
Here’s the truth about Divine Feminine Energy – it is soft, it is gentle, and it is quiet. It is the side of yourself that is vulnerable, expressive, and divine.
Regardless of your gender, you have the ability to tune into this energy. I particularly like to tune into Divine Mother during the full or new moon, when energies are heightened.
How do you do that? Here are some ways to tune in:
- Spend time being gentle with yourself
- Allow yourself to feel all emotions – try to practice non-judgement
- Walk in nature
- Bring flowers into your house
- Soften – soften your shoulders, your jaw, your mindset
- Talk to your own mother
- Connect with someone who is a mother figure to you
- Write down, express your feelings
Cultivating a Relationship with Divine Mother
The first place we learn about love, self-care and nourishment is from our mothers. Right now around the world there is a shift towards Divine Feminine healing. We are being asked to dig deeper into the wounds from the past and to truly love ourselves. Within our own bodies and within our communities, we are being called to bring the sacred energies of divine masculine and divine feminine back into a healthy balance.
Our first home exists within the womb of our mothers, it’s here that we are nurtured to survive and thrive. But sometimes these relationships are challenging. There can be ancestral and on-going trauma. And so we may begin to live in a way in which we reject the feminine side of ourselves. We may even completely reject our mothers.
So in order to cultivate a better relationship with our EARTHLY mothers, we must first connect with Divine Mother. Here are a few ways to reconnect with Divine Mother – Shakti:
When we silence our external world, we can tap into our internal home; where our most profound wisdom resides. Close your eyes and venture inwards to embark on a journey towards the Divine Mother. It is here that we can connect with our Divine Mother energy in her truest form— an insight into our most authentic selves.
- Begin by finding a sacred space where you will not be interrupted. Gently close your eyes and arrive at the present moment. You can spend a few moments here appreciating the breath.
- As you feel into each inhale and exhale, explore your natural rhythm.
- Now begin to visualize a bright light at the base of the spine, the Mūlādhāra or ROOT chakra.
- Imagine Mother Nature’s roots expanding from this golden light, rooting into the earth beneath you.
- Embrace this grounding state, allow yourself to feel safe and secure as Gaia holds you.
- Spend time becoming rooted in your truth as you awaken to the energy of the Divine Mother within.
Celebrate your Divine Mother energy by chanting this sacred Sanskrit mantra:
- Adi Shakti, Adi Shakti, Adi Shakti, Namo Namo.
- Sarab Shakti, Sarab Shakti, Sarab Shakti, Namo Namo.
- Pritham Bhagvati, Pritham Bhagvati, Pritham Bhagvati, Namo Namo.
- Kundalini, Mata Shakti, Mata Shakti, Namo Namo.
This powerful mantra translates to, “I bow to the Primal Power, I bow to the All-Encompassing Power and Energy, I bow to that through which God creates, I bow to the creative power of the Kundalini, the Divine Mother Power.”
Reciting this mantra out loud will invoke the subtle presence of the Divine Mother, giving rise to her qualities so that you can receive elements of strength, wisdom, and prosperity.
Reconnect with the Sacral Chakra
When you connect to Divine Mother and Divine Feminine energy, you step into a space of complete surrender and release. The chakra associated with water, the color orange, and creativity and release is the Sacral Chakra. Located in your lower abdomen and tapped into your sexual organs, when this space is balanced you will feel:
- Sensual and sexually alive
- Trust, inner well-being
- Deep pleasure and joy
- Turned on by life
In order to reconnect with your sacral chakra and your divine feminine energy here are some great ways to begin the healing journey:
- Relax near bodies of water
- Color, draw, paint, get creative
- Express all your emotions, come to terms with how you really feel
- Connect with the Goddesses
- Meditate or practice yoga
- Dance – move your hips!
Want to Learn More about Divine Feminine Energy?
My private coaching program Creative Goddess Mentorship takes you deeper into a journey of healing, abundance, creativity and surrender. Learn more and apply now.