How do you deal with holiday stress? The most “wonderful time of year” can also bring up a lot of emotions and even bouts of depression.
Here’s how to handle the stress of it all.
Maybe the title of this podcast sounded weird to you, maybe you were thinking… how can I be stressed at my favorite time of the year?
Let me explain.
The holidays can bring up some stress because we focus so much of our attention on making everything perfect. We want to cook the best meal, wrap the gifts on time, clean the house and do it all. When this goes according to plan you might find yourself at the end of the holiday sitting there with your loved ones and thinking about how grateful you are for everything.
That’s the best case scenario, but most of the time it doesn’t occur like this because the holidays can bring about some negative emotions. It’s sad to see but during the holidays many people suffer from depression or struggle with their mental health. This can be due to divorce, loss of loved ones, employment problems or other challenges.
I just want to remind you that through every dark moment there is a light and there are people out there that will be there for you. My biggest advice is: acknowledge your feelings and how you are feeling from moment to moment, embrace them and ask for help if you feel it’s necessary. There’s no shame in asking for a shoulder to cry or reaching out to someone who can listen to what you are going through.
- You are loved,
- You are heard,
- You have people who care about you,
- And every bad moment will pass.
Three Tips for Dealing with Holiday Stress
If you feel like holidays can be a stressful time I would like to share three quick tips to deal with them:
- Peace of mind: Do whatever makes you feel better and relax. You can try meditation, watching inspirational videos, stretching, or going for a walk.
- Avoid confrontation: People can be close to their breaking point so don’t engage in confrontation. Listen to your intuition and if you don’t feel like you want to do something, don’t do it.
- Fluidity and going with the flow: Surrender to the things you cannot control and focus on what you can do to change the way you are feeling. Allow your spirit to guide you.
Thank you for joining me for another episode of Soul Guided with Sookton Podcast. See you next time!